DEFINITION OF DESIGN
Design is a creative activity whose aim is to establish the multi-faceted qualities of objects, processes, services and their systems in whole life cycles. Therefore, design is the central factor of innovative humanisation of technologies and the crucial factor of cultural and economic exchange.
Design seeks to discover and assess structural, organisational, functional, expressive and economic relationships, with the task of:
- Enhancing global sustainability and environmental protection (global ethics)
- Giving benefits and freedom to the entire human community, individual and collective
- Final users, producers and market protagonists (social ethics)
- Supporting cultural diversity despite the globalisation of the world (cultural ethics)
- Giving products, services and systems, those forms that are expressive of (semiology) and coherent with (aesthetics) their proper complexity
Design concerns products, services and systems conceived with tools, organisations and logic introduced by industrialisation – not just when produced by serial processes. The adjective “industrial” put to design must be related to the term industry or in its meaning of sector of production or in its ancient meaning of “industrious activity”. Thus, design is an activity involving a wide spectrum of professions in which products, services, graphics, interiors and architecture all take part. Together, these activities should further enhance – in a choral way with other related professions – the value of life.Therefore, the term designer refers to an individual who practices an intellectual profession, and not simply a trade or a service for enterprises.
by ICSID now as World Design Organization.
Find it with a new brand and name as WDO
- What is Industrial Design? (jasmine-kent.com)
- Design Process (ernesthschan.wordpress.com)