A brazilian place for Education, Design, Innovation and Technology.
I had the privilege of growing up in a Culture of Learning.
It took moments of isolation, deep abstractions and focus for me to develop the autonomy and the freedom to experiment, create and imagine how things could be different.
This has become the best part of me. And throughout the years I’ve learned that I connect with people by ideas.
Back in the day, the (Brazilian) TV was a great motivation for all of this — thank you TV Cultura!
That’s the vision: to materialize this culture of learning into a physical spot.
Subscribe to receive news about it https://julioh.typeform.com/to/vzAUeZ
A spot where you can feel fresh, up for making new friends, connecting your ideas and people that teach one another things for life, showing a world full of opportunities.
In contrast with trends such as plenty of MOOCs, virtual spaces of Learning and unfortunate distance between people, the Colearning is an unprecedented concept, based on the physical spot as a tool.
1. The place as a (powerful) tool
It’s not surprise Apple and Google are investing billions of dollars on new offices and entrepreneurs like Tony Hsieh (Zappos) and Bill Gates (Microsoft) are investing on districts and cities.
The goal is optimization. To make the physical places as efficient and responsive as a software.
In a business perspective, more ‘collisions’ means more communication, faster decision process and more assertive energy, affecting people’s productivity and creativity by 60% plus. Thus, the proximity alone improves learning, collaboration and, therefore, innovation ($$$).
That’s what researchers and authors like Thomas J. Allen (MIT Professor and creator of the ‘Allen’s Curve’ — bellow) and Jennifer Magnolfi (Researcher of Programmable Habitats, the future of work, robotics, working with NASA, ISS and others) suggest in their works.
Colearning is a concept that goes beyond a roof surrounded by walls, beyond a group of people using wifi isolated on their seat and headphones.
It’s a new concept. Setting a place as a communication tool.
2. A new tool emerges
The world has changed!
2 problems and 2 answers to the current Educational System (in Brazil) and the Colearning approach to them:
- Values and priorities of today’s world aren’t contemplated by this system >> The content of our spot will be curated by professionals of different levels, regions, by companies, educators and users collaboratively. It will be updated in real time.
- The individual limitation of a unique teacher as “the” specialist and “process owner” >> We’ll have a group of Learning Processes Facilitators creating a collective intelligence.
To learn more https://julioh.typeform.com/to/vzAUeZ
3. More content and opportunities to you
Having our own spot = more activities = more density = formats = more opportunities to you.
We have been working for approx. 4 years remotely, using +30 places for creating, organizing and producing our own courses, workshops, debates and activities. In this period we provided services for 1430 people per year, on average. But we can go much further!!!
Since we didn’t have our own place, there’s a logistics inefficiency that restricts our agenda to 1 activity per day, even if we have operational capacity to produce 5 activities, for example.
Also, the costs of renting a place (for a short time frame) prevented us from trying other formats, restricting our growth and capacity of innovation.
We’ve never had our place: a spot that would feed the development, interaction, curiosity, empathy and ideas. In other words, all super powers that, as human beings, give us the ability to create amazing things.
Ok, but why us?
Because it’s been 6 years in a business based on the vision of Organizing Brazil Learning and create a New Global Educational System.
Because we exist to help during all your individual journey of learning, offering more opportunities, experiences and better choices.
Because we believe that the best way of complaining is to do something.
A brief timeline (from left to the right):
- 2011: Design Thinking Workshop with Ricardo Ruffo. One of the first workshops, bringing (at that time) a new methodology to an experimental contact with students.
- 2012: 5thº generation of collaborative content, giving and creating space to the people.
- 2014: The very first platform to help you to find all the events of design technology and entrepreneurship (of Brazil) in a unique place.
- 2016: Courses and events by and for the community. Hands on, learning and your journey as a priority.
- 2017: The acquisition of Visitei, the very first platform that takes students to know the routine, challenges, professionals at design and technology companies.
Until right now (dec/2017)
107 courses and face-to-face activities, 30 facilitators, 7731 participants, 76 visits, 4126 users, 35 companies involved, 6 states, 1 million unique views and 2500 events were mapped.
How the Colearning is going to work
Let’s imagine a concert hall where each day there’s a new performance with a new artist and a new genre, and where you could always enjoy them, meet new people and get to know new songs (better than Spotify’s algorithm, huh?)
The ‘concert hall’ is the Colearning.
Each day, 6 days per week, 12 hours per day, there’s a big set of activities, new courses, themes, professors/facilitators, content aligned with what you expect, various audiences, but with specific goals in common.
- You, facilitator/professor, can use our amazing spot and its infrastructure to host a workshop or course, being free to do it whatever you’d like.
- You, community, facilitator/professor, can focus on the content and offer your activity our spot, and the organization, services, sales, contents, communication and production will be our responsibility.
- You, adventure-seeker, student or professional will be able to come along with any activity, chat, connect with others, grab a cup of coffee and have fun discovering new things…
- You, service provider, will be able to offer to +9680 people-year services of photography, video, catering, marketing, design, development…
An amazing spot and affordable infrastructure with all the support needed — from strategy, experience and production to sales — so your event, course or activity will be a success.
Exclusively designed for proximity, interaction face to face, a constant flow of ideas and Education of Innovation in Brazil.
Our first spot will be in São Paulo (SP — Brazil), but the activities will be streamed online all over!
Subscribe on the list to get the news about the project: https://julioh.typeform.com/to/vzAUeZ
20 special features of our Colearning
8 ways of reducing the distance between cities, communities, academies and industry.
- Colearning is about real innovation through public participation and the creation of a common understanding about Design, Technology and entrepreneurship. Our spot will be integrated with the neighborhood (local community), offering the courses to and with the small business and people of the region. Ex.: The image below simulates if the spot would be in São Paulo Downtown, so we could include Government (Local, State and Federal) Entities, participants and Business in a dialogue, activities and innovation processes, prototyping solutions, IoT, App Development, etc… searching for better solutions — Much more than a spot and a “people aggregator”, but as a communication tool — acting as a bridge between government entities, business companies, students and entrepreneurs.
2. Our relationship with University will give us the chance to include even more Faculty members in our debates, researches, marathons, mentoring and courses.
3. To create a true environment of an (open) university campus, there will be a student republic for the innovation areas, so since the first semester of College will be in contact with professionals, others professors, students, companies…
4. Every company and office subscribed at the Visitei platform will have an exclusive access to the colearning activities, an open invitation for their workers to become facilitators and to access to new talents, students, professionals teachers and projects.
5. In the last year we’ve been making an inclusive work of young people in vulnerability, with the RECODE ONG support. With the Colearning we will expand this initiative, creating specific programs and training to create even more opportunities for them.
6. Our courses and workshops have been approaching real world problems and life situations. We believe that by doing this we generate value x2, to people and the society. The proposal is to expand this and take these subjects forward, beyond the courses and workshops, acting as a place of incubation and acceleration of ideas to companies and to the city.
7. Students starting at 13 years old. A new way to give opportunities to the young generations to see new technologies, possibilities and receive mentoring at a young age.
8. Communities that make a great job, like Training Center, Garoa Hacker Club, LHC de Campinas, PyLadies, Front UX, HTML SP, Maria Lab, Reprograma, Programaria, can use it for Meetup at no charge.
Now imagine all this together, at the same time, everyday. That’s the spot! With the Practice, Innovation, Learning, Dialogue, Talent, Tolerance and Diversity Culture.
Look and Feel
For you to imagine
The plan is to have a place to 120 people, fitted to the most diverse events and various courses simultaneously. But at start, because of the high investment ($$$), it’s more likely that we’ll start with a smaller place.
What’s going to happen in that Colearning Space?
- Workshops e Courses (yours, ours and from partners)
- Design and Technology Chalanges
- Lectures, Projects, Hackathons
- Open Debates
- Mentoring 1 to1 to your abilities, projects and ideas.
- Groups and Tech/Design Community Meetings
- Study Groups
- Open Pitches Nights
- Acceleration and Incubation of your projects and ideas after the course, workshop, mentoring, hackathon ou bootcamp
In 2018 we’ll launch our Bootcamp — a new model. The first through crowdlearning, modular, trans disciplinary and customizable, based on projects — to individuals and startups.
You start where you are, with what you have and know and during 8 to 12 weeks go through a unique set of intense, hands on and diverse capacition activities to prepare you for new skills and opportunities.
The first Colearning spot looks amazing?
If you got as excited as us with the idea and want to see it in real life, you could be part of it and help us to make it true!